Principal Python Developer in Toronto
- At least 7 years of experience in web application development, in an Agile or Lean environment
- Strong experience in one of the following technologies - Python (what we use), Ruby on Rails, C++, Go, Node, .NET or JAVA
- Experience with databases and SQL - our database is MySQL
- Experience writing and working with REST APIs -- and by "REST," we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring technical teams, and growing the overall technical maturity of our Engineering organization
- A deep understanding of test-driven (and behavioural test driven) development, and of building substantially complete test code, and not just for the happy path
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having only a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices.
- Strong pair programming or mob programming skills, both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud provider such as AWS
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
Help set technical and architectural direction for our entire Engineering department
- Learn in-depth details of the current codebase, and map long term improvements
- Research, design and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Be an advocate for clean code, good testing practices, and quality software
- Ship your code and enhance our delivery process
- Develop your craft, improve your expertise in software development, and raise the level of the teams around you
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.